Friday 23 September 2011

Bass Sausage Sadness

As some of you know, I am a bass player, not by profession but by love and passion! As I have, over the last few months begun to fall in love all over again with this most magnificent of instruments I have come across a very sad fact... What were once fairly dexterous little bass sausages are now limp little carrot sticks of sadness!! My fingers, my wrists and my forearms have fallen so out of shape that I am ashamed to call myself a bass player. Where once I could slap for England, I can now barely make it through the exercises I used to frequently use. Where I used to be able to play some obscure patterns and grooves, I've just lost it!

A lesson learnt to be honest, practice is incredibly important, even if you don't think you have time just half an hour every day is a good idea! While I love my Theological studies I have missed playing bass all the time terribly, but for some obscure reason this has been pushed to the back of my mind until a magnificent band opportunity arose. Now I am probably more determined than ever to get back on my bass playing feet, get these forearms working and reclaim my bass sausages.

I am currently studying some tapping workouts with a view to stealing some drumming rudiments and applying them to the fine art of two handed bass tapping.
I'm such a geek...

The_Rambler

P.S. Loving this video at the moment, it is ripped from a Warwick promotion DVD... If you can find it, get it! A bus full of funk legends jamming and spitting rhymes (I'm so hip...), it is something else... There is a reason I am in love with Warwick basses!


No comments:

Post a Comment